Summer Grain Salad of Farro, Cherries and Red Dandelion Greens
Dandelion greens pack a nutrition punch with loads of vitamin A in a single 1 cup serving, not to mention a host of minerals and omegas as well. These greens also have a bold and bitter flavor which makes them a perfect match for sweet summer fruit. Bring this salad to your next picnic or BBQ for a flavor-packed, nutritious dish to share with friends and family.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked farro
- 1 bunch of Josie’s Organics Red Dandelion Greens
- 1 lb. sweet Chelan Fresh red cherries, washed, pitted and halved
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium oranges, preferable Cara Cara oranges if available
- 3 Tablespoons white miso
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger, minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dandelions can be blanched briefly in boiling water to remove some of the bitterness.
- Green or red dandelions work equally well in this recipe, but the red are so pretty with the cherries!
- Spelt or wheat berries can be substituted for the farro.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add farro and a pinch of salt. When water returns to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender but chewy, about 40-45 minutes. The grains should retain their shape after cooked.
While the grains cook, wash dandelion greens well and spin or pat dry, tear leaves into bite-size pieces and set aside.
Drain cooked farro and return it to the pot (off the heat) and immediately add dandelion greens, stir to combine and set aside to allow greens to wilt slightly.
Cut the peel off two oranges, working over a bowl to catch the juice, remove each segment between the membrane with a paring knife. Set segments aside for the salad. Before discarding the remaining membrane squeeze the juice into your work bowl. Zest and juice the third orange into the same bowl. You should now have roughly 1/2 cup of juice.
To make the dressing; add the ginger, miso, olive oil and honey to the bowl with the orange juice and whisk well to combine. Add water to thin as desired, taste and adjust for salt if needed. Set aside.
Transfer farro mixture to a large salad bowl; add the orange segments, cherries and half the dressing. Toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Before serving, garnish with goat cheese, chopped almonds and the remaining dressing on the side.