Roasted Sweet Baby Broccoli and Lemon with Parmesan Pecan Gremolata
Roasting brings out the mellow flavor of sweet baby broccoli, making it an even more beautiful vegetable for the dinner table. Because sweet baby broccoli is indeed sweet, as well as long, thin and leafy, it takes just minutes to transform it in the oven. Ground pecans give the gremolata topping a wonderful texture and slightly nutty taste, which brings the broccoli and lemon together nicely and adds another distinctive element to the presentation. The gremolata only takes minutes, but your family and guests will think you took extra time to make such a special dish!
For the broccoli
- 1 bunch Josie’s Organic sweet baby broccoli, washed and trimmed; leaves removed, chopped and set aside for the gremolata
- 1 lemon cut into ⅛-inch slices
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the gremolata
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Zest plus juice of 1 large lemon
- ½ cup (packed) Josie’s Organics Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt (add more to taste if needed)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (add more if desired)
Preheat oven to 425°.
Place sweet baby broccoli and lemon slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and slightly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a platter or in a shallow serving dish.
While sweet baby broccoli is roasting, mix together broccoli leaves, pecans, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, parmesan, salt and pepper. Drizzle lemon juice and melted butter over mixture and mix well.
Sprinkle gremolata over sweet baby broccoli and lemon slices, serve.
Dress it Up
Sometimes an occasion feels even more like a celebration with extra fancy ingredients. Try swapping the pecans for Marcona almonds or macadamias. You can also quickly turn the gremolata into a baked crumble—just place the sweet baby broccoli and lemons in a deeper baking dish, generously top with gremolata, add a few pats of unsalted butter and pop it back into the oven until melted and browned.