Quick Celery-Fennel Stir Fry with Cashews
Celery and fennel are perfect weeknight veggies because they don’t take long to cook. With just a bit of heat, their bright, raw flavors mellow and become more rich and delicious. This stir-fry brings out the best in both—with a slight Asian twist—and can be put on the table in 10-15 minutes including prep time. You’ll enjoy the caramelized softness of the fennel with the celery’s warm crunch. It’s a great side to chicken thighs, grilled pork chops or meaty white fish, like grouper or cod.
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Josie’s Organics fennel–bulb cut into quarters and sliced very thin; stalks cut at a 45-degree angle about ⅛-inch thick
- 6-8 Josie’s Organics celery ribs, cut at a 45-degree angle about ½-inch thick (save a handful of leaves to finish)
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup lightly salted cashews, toasted and chopped
- Peanuts or almonds can be used instead of cashews; skip toasting if pressed for time.
- Don’t have canola oil? Use olive oil.
- Granulated sugar can be swapped for honey.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey. Set aside.
Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add fennel. Cook 4-5 minutes to soften – stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Add celery. Stir 4-5 minutes until fennel is slightly browned on edges and celery is crisp-tender but still bright green.
Pour vinegar honey mixture over fennel and celery, and add the chili flakes. It will bubble up and release the fragrance of the sweetened vinegar. Stir and let cook 1 more minute.
Season with black pepper. Toss in celery leaves. Transfer to a large plate or serving dish. Sprinkle chopped cashews on top.
Dress it Up
This dish can easily be turned into a chicken or shrimp stir-fry—just cook chicken or shrimp first and mix with vegetables before serving. For a large gathering or special occasion, double or triple the recipe and build a bed on a large platter. Lay grilled whole chicken breasts on top. Toss in ¼ cup of fresh parsley leaves for gorgeous green color.