Celery and Snap Pea Salad with Blue Cheese and Pomegranate
This fresh, crunchy salad is picnic and party perfect for spring and summer. It’s good for a take-to-work lunch, too. The trick here is to make the sugar snap peas and celery pieces the same size so when you mix with the warm dressing, tangy cheese and sweet, crunchy pomegranate seeds, you get all the flavors in every spoonful.
- 1½ cups Josie's Organics celery, cut about ¼" thick and leaves
- 1½ cups sugar snap peas, cut on the bias about ¼" thick
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1 cup blue cheese, sliced very thinly
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Use a bag of frozen peas if you don’t have fresh sugar snaps. The warm dressing thaws the peas.
- Pre-packaged crumbled blue cheese works as an alternative to the blue cheese slices.
- If you can’t find pomegranate seeds, toss in dried cranberries and a handful of sunflower or pumpkin seeds for a sweet crunch.
In a small pot, add the olive oil and garlic and heat on medium-low. Cook 10-15 minutes to infuse the oil with the garlic. Take off the heat and stir in the lemon zest and salt.
In a large bowl, add the celery and peas. Pour over the warm olive oil and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter or shallow dish. Layer on the slices of cheese and scatter the pomegranate seeds and celery leaves on top.
Dress it Up
This simple salad is very welcoming. It can accommodate other vegetables, too. Shave some ribbons of asparagus or broccoli stalks for another layer of texture and pretty presentation. Dried fruit is a delicious add-in also. Try raisins or currants or pieces of dried apricot.